WV Healthy Bodies Healthy Spirits * November 2 2018 * Info below
Now we’re going to do it again on November 2, 2018. Click here for 2018 registration information.
2017: a wonderful, inspiring day! Thanks to all who attended, everyone who shared their stories and the people who helped organize the day.
Our state network is launched!
Info on the conference and network below …
“I’ll be there to find new ways to help people live healthier, longer lives. I’ll be there because, as a pastor, I’m tired of burying people who died before their time. I’ll be there because I know that this is God’s work.” – Pastor Steve Willis, speaker, First Baptist Church of Kenova, Cabell County, author of Winning the Food Fight
In October 2014, the idea was born at the West Virginia Council of Churches meeting. After a year of planning, on October 3, West Virginians from many denominations joined hands with Try This West Virginia, the American Heart Association, the Arthritis Foundation and others to launch the network.
The network is about saving and improving lives.
We talked about creating new ways for people in our communities to be active and get healthier food. We’re talking about it as important spiritual work. We talked about ways to offer classes on healthy cooking, chronic disease self-management nd running for beginners, and ways to put all of those in a spiritual context.
We talked about ways to make it easier for like-minded people of faith to get and trade ideas, inspire each other, start programs and find funding.
We heard from inspiring West Virginians who are already making it happen an talke about ways to spread those examples via video and other ways. See hundreds of examples at www.trythiswv.com.
We set up a steering committee with representatives from various denominations: Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic, American Baptist, Disciples of Christ, and will be adding others.
It’s time to take action!
- One in four of our 11-year-olds already have high blood pressure, according to WVU’s CARDIAC program
- West Virginians have some of the highest early-death rates in the nation.
- We spend seven in ten of our health dollars treating diseases that could have been prevented.
We can help change that!
“I’ll be there because I want to meet other people of faith who want to help create a healthier future for West Virginia. We can make a big difference if we work together. This is important, lifesaving work.”
- Rev. Jeff Allen, director, WV Council of Churches
What will the Healthy Bodies Healthy Spirits network do after October 3rd?
Develop a statewide list of like-minded faith organizations and individuals and help them learn from each other.
- Videotape great things WV churches are doing and post them where the whole network can see. They’ll be 5 – 10 minutes in length, great for showing in your church discussion group. You can watch and say, “Look what they’re doing in Grafton! We could do that here.”
- Acquire a traveling library of healthy faith programs and offer regional workshops where people can become familiar with them.
- Offer workshops on healthy, tasty affordable church cooking and help churches find ways to gradually make it happen.
- Let people know about funding opportunities.
On November 2 …
you’ll meet wonderful new friends, trade ideas with like-minded people, hear about practical, affordable resources and programs, and strategize about ways to make them happen at home. Inspiring West Virginians will tell their stories. We’ll do some good singing, and have fun planning the future. We’ll plan for a heathier future. First Baptist Church of Kenova in Kenova, 365 Church in Martinsburg, Pierpont Church of the Nazarene in Morgantown, Emmanuel Baptist in Parkersburg, and First Baptist Princeton in Princeton, West Virgina are the five host locations for 2018.
Click here for the schedule.
At the conference, we chose from “how-to” workshop:
Help us spread the word!
Let people know about the main Web page for the Healthy Bodies Healthy Spirits network. http://trythiswv.com/healthy-bodies-spirits/
Downloadable flier about the conference. Download it and send it around!
* Church bulletin inserts (coming soon). Pick two Sundays to put them in the bulletins. Let them know about the October Gathering.
* Overview of the West Virginia Healthy Bodies Healthy Spirits network.
Get in the loop!