Hula hoops, frisbees, frisbee golf and other fun, inexpensive stuff.
Want to start one or more of these low-cost activities?
- Hula Hoops, aka hoop fitness:
- Find out what you can you do with a hula hoop: Type “hula hoop techniques” into a search engine.
- How start a class? Type “How to start a hula hoop class” or “hoop fitness West Virginia” into a search engine.
- How can you lose weight or get fit with a hula hoop? Type in “hula hoop weight loss” for many ideas. Or http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weighted-hula-hoops/AN01638 for a Mayo Clinic opinion about hula hoop workouts.
- www.Hooping.org calls itself “the one-step resource for all things revolving around the hula hoop.” Here’s their West Virginia page, with description of various West Virginia hoopers: http://www.hooping.org/tag/west-virginia
- West Virginia hula hooping groups perform and give demonstrations or teach classes at schools and community centers:
- Parkersburg’s “Mid-Ohio Valley Hoopla,” hoop fitness and hoop dancing. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mid-Ohio-Valley-Hoopla/436649349706643
- Monongah’s “The Hoop Troop: https://www.facebook.com/PalabeDesigns
- “The Boomtown Hoops” troop, based in Hedgesville: school and community wellness programs and performances. http://www.aroundthepanhandle.com/blogs/things-do/new-spin-fitness-fun-and-entertainment
- Hoop fitness is frequently offered at fitness centers:
- Video: at the Clarksburg YWCA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=227wf03-dsU
- WVU Hospitals Wellness program: http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/Wellness/Programs-and-Classes/Exercise-Programs/Hoop_Fitness.aspx
- Frisbee (flying disc): There are many ways to play Frisbee. There are also several low-cost games you can use to start a tournament or league:
- Disc golf: This game is played much like traditional golf. Instead of a ball and clubs, players use a flying disc, or Frisbee®.
- Set up a disc golf program for kids: http://www.edgediscgolf.org/ The Educational Disc Golf Experience (EDGE) Web site “was developed by a group of World Champion disc golfers and subject matter experts to give educators and youth organization leaders tools for teaching a fun, easy-to-learn lifetime sport to young people.” It also shows how to link subjects such as math, science, and civics to the sport.
- How to build a disc golf course: www.discgolf.com
- West Virginia disc golf listings:
- Ultimate Frisbee: This is football with a Frisbee, with no physical contact:
- Here’s the national Ultimate Frisbee group: http://www.usaultimate.org/about/ultimate/default.aspx
- Want to find WV groups? http://www.ultimap.org/list?num_searches=2&search_attr_1=state&search_op_1=%3D&search_value_1=wv&search_andor_2=AND&search_attr_2=country&search_op_2=%3D&search_value_2=us
- Jump ropes: Parks and Rec, afterschool programs, and nonprofits can get free jump ropes for programs for children from the Modern Woodsmen Association if they use them with the Modern Woodsmen’s excellent exercise and nutrition curriculum http://www.modern-woodmen.org/MemberBenefits/YouthPrograms/YouthEducationalPrograms/Pages/ExerciseandNutritionProgram.aspx