Put up bike racks
“I would ride my bike to work if there was a safe place to lock it up.” That’s what person after person told the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals when they were writing their Biking Parking Guidelines.
Forty percent told the association they would ride their bikes around town if they had a safe place to park them.
With high gas prices, people say they want bike racks at places where they often go: work, grocery store, library, post office, downtown.
“If we can get people riding more by making it safer and giving them a place to lock up their bikes, why wouldn’t we do that?” asked Jamie Jeffrey, director of Charleston’s KEYS 4HealthyKids. “It’s great exercise and a big return for not much money.”
Want more bike parking in your community?
- List likely places for bike racks.. If there were a bike rack at this place, people might ride their bikes there (store, downtown, post office, library, school, etc.)
- Get business sponsors for commercial bike racks
- Hold a Creative Bike Rack Contest. Parkersburg and Charleston did! Bike racks as public art! Parkersburg put the winners in a public art exhibit at the local gallery.
Information and resources:
- Bicycle Parking Guidelines, Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals: types of racks, model regulations, Bicycle Parking Guidelines
- Bikeparking 101: http://bikeparking.com/
- The economic case for on-street bike parking. (Bikenomics). This will help you get bike rack sponsors. The Economic Case
- Model bike parking legislation: http://changelabsolutions.org/publications/bike-parking
- Great article on “What makes a good bike rack” http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2016/10/17/what-makes-a-good-bike-rack
- The People-Powered Movement needs safe bike parking to grow! https://www.kosmosjournal.org/article/the-rising-people-powered-movement-of-movements-is-transforming-the-world/
- VIDEO: www.streetfilms.org/a-bike-parking-protected-protected-bike-lane-grows-in-manhattan/
Go to the Index square to find other pages of ideas that will help you get a bicycling program going in your community.